Saturday, October 1, 2011

Kung Fu, or Aikido?

well I may start one of these martial arts sometime in the near future and I need help choosing one. [please no "it depends on your own personal style" I want your personal opinions] I understand that these are 2 completely different arts but, I have dojo's for both near me and don't know which to choose. I believe the kung fu style practiced in the kungfu place is mantis?, the kungfu place teaches a variety of chinese MA [wushu] like tai chi. I'm not sure on the style that the aikido place teaches. Basically I want the one that's a.)Fun and b.) Useful in real life situations. If either of those usually has any katanna training or other weapons training that Is a plus [I do understand that aikido is japanese and kung fu is chinese so kung fu would most likely not use katana's]. [also I want one a little more advanced than songham taekwondo] ok please tell me your opinions, sorry if this was confusing! Oh yes I also would like one that's good exercise lol.|||Kung Fu is split up into 2 arts.


You have Wushu, and Tai Chi.


Wushu is external martial art, and Tai Chi is internal martial art. What that means, is that Tai Chi will teach you about the flow and use of "spiritual/life energy", and Wushu will teach you the combat. Both of those together is what I would call fun, practical, and good exercise.





But Kung Fu takes years, the end result is truly phenomenal if you last long enough to see it through. I'm not sure if you will have time for that (as most people often do not), so I'll recommend Aikido. Through Aikido, you can learn to manipulate your opponents force/strength and use it against them. You're also given the privilege to study the philosophy of Budo, or The Empty Mind. It teaches you how to perfect your focus, and is practical both in and out of combat. Keep in mind that Aikido is a defensive art, not an offensive art.





Something with a katana-like weapon would be Kendo. Kendo is the art of Japanese fencing, and also uses the Budo philosophy.|||kung dose not involve in that much sparring like taekwondo and others. it is useually a parformance martial art

Report Abuse


|||Karate or brazilian jujitsu they are so much fun and so coooooool this is what UFC/mma fighters mostly use and its so much fun|||Before you choose either style, read the most updated version of The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba. You can probably get it in your public library. The latest version of this book published in 2002 is an extended version of the pocket sized book called the Art of Peace. If you just read the first 3 chapters before it gets to Ueshiba's quotes you'll get to learn and understand more about Osensei Ueshiba and the various styles and masters he studied from prior to creating Aikido. One of his teachers killed 40 armed swordsmen with a sword without help from anyone. The Art of Peace is a 'must read' for anyone in the martial arts. Once you discover what a great martial artist Osensei Ueshiba was, you'll probably want to study Aikido.|||Well I like Aikido, I imagine you will ahve to exercise on your won unless training in combat sport becasue they are there to teach technique and not physical fitness. Aikido takes a lot form Japanese unamred sword disarms and very much from Kendo (sword fencing). Also it is a pascifist art that teaches restraint rather than destruction. It is an art I would very much like to learn.|||ahhaha i do a combination





its called kuk sool won





alot of technques are borrowed from aikido|||First off, there are tons of people answering your question who are just coming from Wikipedia or some other crap website like that, who have no idea about martial arts, so whatch who you listen to.





From what I know about Kung Fu, and that is strictly from friends who are well versed in it, the people who are really into it, really dig it, but the people who aren't totally into it, as in 6-8 hrs a day, they are kind of like "whatever, it's not that great." So, basically, what I'm saying is if you feel that you are totally into it, and will be for a long time, then go for it, but if you are even a bit "on the fence" then I'd pass on Kung Fu.





As far as Akido goes, I know about this, and I've been schooled in this. Someone above me touched on it by saying it has a lot to do with momentum, (I know that's not what they, I mean Wikipedia, actually said, but that's what they meant), and that's true. It has a lot to do with using your oponent's momentum and force against them. It encompasses a fair amount of throws, grasps, and holds. I think the same person above said it's "passivist," which isn't really true, because when people think of that word, they think, "waiting for stuff to happen, and not agressive" as one drunk guy tried to tell me Akido was. Akido is plenty agressive and plenty physical enough to ruin someone should you need to.





Go with Akido. It's more practical and less structured. You want real world effectiveness, then when it comes to Kung Fu or Akido, go with Akido.





and to the guy below me, Akido is NOT aimed at defending yourself without hurting the attacker. That is exactly what I meant when I addressed people coming straight from wikipedia-type sites. That is so untrue. And for the record, I too have a black belt in TKD, which I learned while living in Korea, and I loved it, right up to the point where I learned Akido. My TKD has become a nice shelf piece and a conversation starter, but not really practical on the streets. Knowing TKD is just like knowing how to make paper airplaines, it's a nice thing to know, but it won't do much for you.|||am a 1st degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. It is Korean. It teaches you how to defend yourself and how to counter- attack. For fair warning, you do know that you won't be learning how to fight right off the bat. You will be taught self-defense moves and counter-attacking, but you will not be sparring until later in your martial arts training. You be taught about the history as well along with philosophy and such forth. I know that this would happen to younger people, though I do not know your age or anything. I have put down links of the Aikido, Kung fu, and Tae Kwon Do martial arts. I trust wikipedia. If you don't, you can always do a separate search yourself. I have looked at the 3 sites and the information seems accurate. They give you an idea of what each martial is targeted at. For instance, Aikido is aimed at defending yourself without any harm to the attacker. I suggest you look at the sites. Take great thought into it. It can cost a lot of money to be apart of these martial arts. You can always email me if you need more information.





My computer won't post this with links. Go to wikipedia and put the name of the martial art a the search box. It take you strait there. Or put wikipedia. org with the following endings on it.|||if you want to learn to fight....choose the mantis kung fu.





very few people can actually use aikido in a real fight. and it will not teach you anything but how to throw someone (in a bs way that doesnt work the way they show it most of the time) or how to use joint locks. its also highly ritualized and youll spend alot of time sitting on your feet (seiza) which can get really uncomfy after a while. it's almost like half religion and half technique from what practitioners have told me.





with mantis or any other chinese art you will always get...striking, kicking, throwing, and locking/pressure points.





so there isnt really anything aikido will teach you that kung fu won't. though aiki arts do have some unique throws. i've never seen anyone that could do it for real. they often practice against unrealistic attacks too...most of the time actually. most attacks are with someone running at you full speed in a predescribed manner and going with you...so sure it's easy to throw them.





kung fu has way more weapons than aikido. aikido uses a wooden sword and a jo staff.





in kung fu youll learn ...almost guaranteed...staff, sword and spear. among others. no it wont be a katana...but very cool anyway. actually youll likely learn two types of sword play...straight sword, and sabre. (akin to a scimitar)





i normally don't like saying arts dont work...but if you want to be able to fight, stay away from aikido. (my opinion, and im sure others are already gritting their teeth and wanting to choke me) ..but the truth is alot of arts arent really about fighting anymore. but about spirituality and such. and honestly i've never seen an aikido ka i thought could really fight for real. again...just my opinion.|||Remember Fight Quest Korea? When it came time to fight, the Hapkido (which is nearly identical to aikido and akijujitsu) turned into a combination of kick boxing and judo.





Variety is good, most schools will offer free lessons so float around. I like judo and jeet kune do, but also think bjj has some great stuff to offer. Aikido is cool, but not immediately applicable and then even after you have studied for so many years, you might as well have taken up BJJ, judo, or perhaps something else. Check several schools out and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment