Saturday, October 1, 2011

Question for all martial artists, MMA , kung fu, karate, can you relate?

ok, so I love martial arts. I grew up with chinese kung fu. Xingyiquan and wing chun, and a little tiger style. But, I trained waaay different than most people. We actually sparred realistically, and Ive cross trained in Boxing, muay thai, dumog/kali, Jujitsu, and Krav maga. When I practice my wing chun and xingyiquan techniques on the heavybag I keep my chin tucked and my back slightly arched to stay compact.


When other kung fu people see my videos on youtube practicing, they say I should keep my neck straight and my back, and "untuck" my chin. Then they say my "Chi" projection is weak. lol........





I love Chinese martial arts, and I think ALL martial arts can be practical if trained with a no non-sense attitude, but why to many Traditional martial artists try to make the simplest move and turn into rocket science? Hell, alot of kung fu people with train to do a million different things just to defend against a jab.





Fighting basically has 4 ranges. Kicking, punching, trapping, grappling.





Im not an MMA fan boy. Personally MMA is not martial arts. Its a sport version of it. Where are the knife fighters in MMA? But, I also tend to not like most Traditional martial artists either for their "cult" attitudes. Are there others like me who dont get along with most MMA and "strictly" TMA people?





Most of the people I get along with are JKD people. Because they see value in everything instead of trying to prove they are better.





THoughts?|||Hi, Randy, I'm in CMA for many years and a practitioner must know that training through the routines and fighting/sparring are two very separate conditioning. You ARE right to tuck in the chin and hunch your back in a real fight situation or sparring session, yet those people giving you the advice to straighten your back and neck are also right BUT only in so far as performing the routines (especially, Northern Shaolin MA) are concerned. In CMA, there is a term for the tucking in the chin and hunching the back, 'han shiong, ba-bei', but that when the chin is tucked in, the chest is 'caved inwards' without accentuating the hunch. The hunch must be natural with a droop of the shoulders; yes, the stance is close to that of a western boxer's. In fact, one of the cardinal rules in Yang and Wu Taiji, is to perform the routines with 'han shiong ba-bei' and the sinking of the qi to dan-tien. However, there are many other Southern Shaolin CMA schools that require the trainees to adopt the posture when performing routines as well. So, if you believe in what I wrote, you are doing fine.





"Wu De" and being rigid in outlook (being strong traditionalist) are also two separate mental attitudes. Wu de is similar in many ways to the Japanese Bushido and covers more than just honor, virtue, and humility as it also calls upon the martial artist to be grateful to one's school and teacher and the lineage, chivalrous and compassionate. Being rigid as in being a traditionalist is the result of being possessing wu de. Think about it.





Fighting also includes amongst the 4 ranges of movements as you indicated, palm-strikes, clawing, finger-jabs, throws, joint-locks, ground-work, and most importantly evasive actions.





I can agree with you on what you deemed MMA to be, but only in the ring and fight according to rules. But, MMA can be devastating without the sport rules.





There is no reason to ostracize other MA practitioners basing on the "style or school". Every one, and every style or school has a place on this earth and in the community of martial artists. Each to his own for better or worse. I had read much of others' prejudices in this forum as well but aren't they entitled to their views? And for those who knows what wu de is, is a fair ground for one to practise humility. Smile and shrug, friend.|||I don't care what martial art you train, Having a good stance, Keeping your hands up, and your chin down, will always be better than standing there and hoping you can block everything like in Kung-Fu, because when that one punch slips thru, and your head is up, it's lights out.|||You haven't learned anything from you martial arts training, if the only thing you think it is about is fighting.|||just keep doing what your instructor/s tell you to do and try not to listen to people off of youtube. most dont have a clue what they are talking about. i personally don't really believe in chi, and if you open your self up thats definetely not gonna benefit you in anyway as far as i'm concerned.


i personally like mma because its very entertaining, but i don't like the meatheads that wear a tapout shirt and think that mma can defeat anything.


just keep training and have fun with it =)|||I think the eastern culture behind martial arts, is its a refined art, and theres a certain mysticism behind it, modern martial arts tend to be better with that problem ,up to Taekwondo and Muay Thai, but most I have seen invented after then I have not bothered with.



You see things like sin wave are said to be like mystical energies of chi or some such, where theres a quite simple science behind alot of martial arts moves, I love the Jeet-kun-do philosophy, I digested and teared the Tao of Jeet-kun-do apart, as Its insights into martial arts theory are modern, and the mysticism behind the martial arts included is explained in simple scientific easy to digest pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment