Saturday, October 1, 2011

Which kung fu style should I learn?

I've been looking around after deciding to take up a martial art. After some consideration, I settled on the Chinese Shaolin kung fu. However, there are a few other specializations. Tiger, White Crane, Dragon, and Praying Mantis are the styles I've been considering. I mainly want to learn for self-defense and self-enlightenment reasons, as well as spiritual--I'm persuing Buddhism and the Tao as well. I'm fifteen years old, living in a small mountain town in Pennsylvania, north America, so there aren't really any places to learn around me. I'm not too sure about White Crane because it doesn't seem to be in practice much anymore. I like Dragon, because it mixes strength with evasion. Also, it has chi-building associated with it, which I'm very interested in; the main reason I didn't like the Tiger style is because apparently it focuses on brute strength rather than some strength added with chi. Praying Mantis seems well-suited for me; a mix of power and evasion, as well as chi. I can't decide on a Northern or Southern style, though. The fact of the matter is that I can't really find that much information on any of the styles, what they're mainly suited for, and what they look like. I want to be sure of it, because choosing a style is a commitment and it'll take me years to learn. If someone could help me pick a style that's fitted to me, I'd be grateful. Also, if anyone knows of any schools in NEPA it would be helpful. Here's what I'm looking for in a style.


I want a good mix of strength and evasion, definitely with chi as well (i.e. the style focuses on building chi and incorporating it into the fighting style). I'm a fifteen year old male. I'm relatively tall, but I'm a bit on the skinny side; not much muscle. I'd like something acrobatic as well, but that's not necessary. If someone could help me pick a style as listed above, or provide more info, a source I could look at, other styles, etc. that would help me make a decision myself, I'd be grateful. Wikipedia definitely isn't doing the trick. Up until now I've been using shaolin.com, but that's not too great either. Thanks very much.|||It sounds like you've done a lot of research. Have you seen examples of Drunken Boxing style? I thing it has the right mix of strength, deception, acrobatics and chikung that you are looking for. The downside is that there are very few Drunken masters actively teaching, that I could find.





My second suggestion would be either Northern Long Fist, or eagle style.





If you are pursuing Taoism, however, you'd be better suited with Baguazhang or a Tai Chi style, as they apply and demonstrate the principles of taoism to a much greater degree than other kung fu styles.|||the mok gar is very good or the kung fu 5 animals stile

No comments:

Post a Comment